[Fedora-packaging] installing an icon to the desktop?

Isaac Fischer xwaver at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 23:04:32 UTC 2011

xdg-desktop-icon can't be done in %install, without putting your .desktop
file in ~root/Desktop or whoever is building the package, because it's done
at build time. xdg-desktop-icon only works for the current user. The regular
user would have to have rights to the RPM database to install even a
subpackage with nothing but the Launcher file and macros. So, upon
reflection, that's why it can't be done at RPM install - you'd have to have
a script which examines /home/* and inserts it into all of them, which is
just flat out wrong. The xdg-desktop-icon has to be done by the user. I
imagine you could put together a user-level service in
/usr/share/gnome/autostart/ that runs a script that invokes
xdg-desktop-icon, and would re-install the icon each login, and then the
user would have to disable it if they ever wanted to be rid of the icon. A
pain to be sure.
*
*
*Isaac Fischer*