[Fedora-packaging] [Guidelines Change] Changes to the Packaging Guidelines

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Fri Feb 4 22:54:13 UTC 2011

On 02/04/2011 05:44 PM, Isaac Fischer wrote:
> When writing explicit BuildRequires and Requires in specs (particularly
> that could be used by other distros), is there a specific reason not to
> use (for example) pkgconfig(libcurl), where the package in question
> could belibcurl-devel orcurl-devel or ambiguous-devel that provides it?
> Same for mono(nunit.core). Is there a use case in which it isn't
> beneficial, other than older RPM systems that don't do it internally?

Well, to answer your first question, the lack of arch-specificity would
be a valid reason, but that is probably fixable in the pkgconfig
provides generator in RPM.

The same answer applies to mono(foo), but I'm not sure whether that
Provide is Fedora specific or not, which makes a difference if
"universal distro support" is important to you. I'm not honestly sure it
is a huge priority in Fedora atm, but that doesn't mean we should take
actions to explicitly make it more complex.

~tom

==
Fedora Project