[Fedora-packaging] HTML format preferred over INFO documents

Jan Kratochvil jan.kratochvil at redhat.com
Tue Feb 15 15:18:25 UTC 2011

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 16:11:23 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 02/15/2011 03:59 PM, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
> > Wrote the draft proposal for it:
> > 	https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/HtmlDocs
>
> Comments from my part:
>
> 1. texinfos need special preparation to be able to convert them to html.
> This applies to many cases, but does not apply in general.

OK, I believe a machine-generated HTML is good enough as the first step.
Possible specific problems can be fixed up as normal Bugs later.

> 2. html is just one amongst many formats texinfos can be (if the
> texinfos have been prepared for) converted to.

Some list of formats is given on the Wiki page.

> I don't see any reason to give html preference over one of the other
> formats. It's some people's preference, but definitely not all (e.g. I
> prefer pdf).

I prefer INFO over all the other ones.  But I remember I was using HTML before
I got used to the only provided INFO.  When a separate -doc subpackage is
provided I believe providing all the tree of INFO, HTML and PDF is not
a problem (HTML as I dislike PDF over the other paging-free formats).

> 3. Many of these html docs are available on-line - Adding local copies
> to Fedora only adds bloat to the distro

As we face it on freenode#gdb channel the online versions do not match the
local copies.  And I do not want to be dependent on network with notebook.

> 4. The GNU standards's officical documentation format is info.

Yes, just Fedora is not GNU.

Thanks,
Jan