[Fedora-packaging] mime type not associating with gui application

Erik Blankinship erikb at mediamods.com
Tue Feb 15 19:11:03 UTC 2011

How do I create my spec file so that I my gui application can be launched by
double clicking a filetype it is associated with via mimetype?

This is what I've done so far:
- I have updated my .desktop file so that it
includes MimeType=application/x-supes-saved;
- In my spec I have successfully used xdg-mime and xdg-icon-resource so that
files with my custom extension (.supes) has my custom icon.

But when I double click on one of my files, I am prompted with a modal
dialog "There is no application installed for Superman Saved Game files".
 When I opt to "Select Application" my application is not listed either.
 (The application's desktop icon is successfully installed and runs under
the application menu).

Any suggestions?  Thank you.