[Fedora-packaging] ExclusiveArch and dependencies

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Sun Jan 23 23:38:14 UTC 2011

I have a question regarding the use of ExclusiveArch.

At https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures#ExcludeArch_.26_ExclusiveArch
it says that only packages which are exclusively architecture-specific should
use ExclusiveArch. Is it appropriate to extend this to packages which aren't
architecture-specific themselves, but which depend on a package that is
available only on some architectures?

The reason why I'm asking is that some packages with Ada code which I maintain
can't be built on architectures where Gnat, the Ada compiler, is unavailable,
and apparently this annoys the people who work on secondary architectures. The
proposed workaround is to add ExclusiveArch entries to the Ada packages,
listing the architectures where the gcc-gnat package is available, and then
update those entries when someone manages to bootstrap Gnat on a new
architecture. I'd like to know if this use of ExclusiveArch is acceptable, or
if I'll run the risk of being told that it's against the rules and must be
removed.

Björn Persson