[Fedora-packaging] Systemd scriptlet comments

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Tue Jul 26 19:31:30 UTC 2011

On 07/26/2011 09:59 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Ville Skyttä (ville.skytta at iki.fi) said:
>> 3) pkg(sysv) -> pkg(systemd) + pkg-sysv(sysv) upgrade
>>
>> Expected outcome: sysv init script and possible symlinks installed,
>> bootup state saved, service loaded from systemd unit, restarted if it
>> was running.
>
> Don't do/support this.

Packagers are already doing things this way, the packaging guidelines
mandate this subpackaging approach if one wants to continue shipping the
sysv scripts, and "yum install pkg pkg-sysv" will result in this
scenario taking place on upgrade.  So in my opinion either this scenario
must be supported, or the sysv subpackage approach banned.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Systemd
"If present, the SysV initscript(s) must go into an optional subpackage"

>> 4) pkg(sysv) + pkg-sysv(sysv) (init script co-ownership) ->
>> pkg(systemd) upgrade
>>
>> Expected outcome: pkg(systemd) and pkg-sysv(sysv) installed, sysv
>> symlinks removed but init script in place, bootup state saved, service
>> loaded from systemd unit, restarted if it was running.
>
> REALLY don't do/support this.

I dislike it as well, but on the other hand I believe my proposed
scripts will work just fine in this scenario too - I'm basically just
trying to come up with cases where sysv scripts might be around and
cause problems.  Why I'm doing that is a result from Toshio's earlier
post in this thread in which he said "we don't prevent people from
packaging systemVinit scripts ...".  I have no problem dropping this
test case though.

>> 5) pkg(systemd) -> pkg(systemd) upgrade while local non-packaged sysv
>> init script installed
>>
>> Expected outcome: all sysv stuff intact, bootup state not saved, service
>> loaded from systemd unit, restarted if it was running.
>
> This should behave the same, scriptwise, as option #2.

Right, I listed it just for completeness (so that
pkg(systemd)->pkg(systemd) upgrades don't touch possibly existing sysv
stuff).  No problem for me dropping this test case either.

>> 7) pkg(systemd) initial install while local non-packaged sysv init
>> script installed
>>
>> Expected outcome: all sysv stuff intact, bootup state not saved, service
>> loaded from systemd unit.
>
> This should behave the same, scriptwise, as #6.

Yep, same thing as for the #5 vs #2 thing above.