[Fedora-packaging] Systemd scriptlet comments

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 16:24:39 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 11:02:34PM +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> Some comments on systemd scriptlets at
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:ScriptletSnippets#Systemd
>
> 1) I don't think the versioned trigger logic will work too well at all
> in the (not that rare) cases where the previous distro had sysv scripts
> and one does a version bump in the previous distro - the trigger in the
> next one will no longer run on distro upgrades because of the
> versioning.  Wouldn't it work better to just drop the version from the
> trigger altogether, and instead check if the old init script exists?
> For example:
>
> %triggerun -- httpd
> [ -e %{_initddir}/httpd ] || exit 0
> # rest of the migration stuff goes here

We discussed this when we came up with the guidelines.  IIRC, we finally
decided this wasn't workable because we don't prevent people from packaging
systemVinit scripts (either in subpackages or in a wholly separate package.

I agree with your points about fragility, though.  If you can think of a way
that handles both I'd be happy to hear it.

> 2) Cosmetic: there are unnecessary '|| :'s sprinkled in the scriptlets,
> only the final exit status of a script has any effect.

<nod>  I think I'll leave these alone as people don't always understand
that.

> 3) More or less cosmetic: why hardwire absolute paths everywhere?  The
> vast majority of other scriptlet snippets don't do that.

I've replaced /usr/bin with %{_bindir} now.  Are there other paths that we
could change?

Thanks, and sorry for taking so long to see this,