[Fedora-packaging] [Guidelines Change] Changes to the Packaging Guidelines

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Fri Apr 13 14:58:34 UTC 2012

Tom Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com> writes:
> On 04/12/2012 05:19 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Background: after having done what the above text directs me to,
>> I had gotten beaten up over the fact that "service postgresql initdb"
>> no longer worked, and hence reinstituted a stub initscript that only
>> handles the nonstandard actions of the old one.  Which works fine, or
>> at least it did as of last month when I last tried it.  So now I'm in
>> violation of the guidelines for having tried to keep my users happy,
>> and I'm not happy, especially since the stated rationale is a falsehood.

> systemd doesn't understand non-standard commands. "service" passes
> through, but that was determined to be confusing.

> If you want to make an initscript stub, you can, but it needs to be in a
> separate subpackage, per the guidelines. We're trying not to have unit
> files and sysv initscripts in the same package, whether they're stubs or
> not.

Well, if it has to be in a new subpackage then I'm just going to drop it.
The entire rationale for the stub was to make things "just work" for
people who don't read the release notes.  If it requires they install
a new subpackage they never heard of before, that would still require
reading the release notes, so it's not helpful.  (Unless I was to make
postgresql-server require the new subpackage, but I'm sure that would
not be considered good packaging practice either ...)

			regards, tom lane