[Fedora-packaging] find: /var/tmp/pcore-0.1-Beta-root: No such file or directory

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 18:31:08 UTC 2012

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 10:12:14 -0700 (PDT), KA (Kamal) wrote:

> 3. One which platform did you do this build attempt?
> CentOs 32 bit 5.8

The you need to adjust your spec file %install section as I explained in
my previous reply. You can read it here, too:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/GuidelinesAndPolicies#Prepping_BuildRoot_For_.25install

> Since that IS the target platform, and as far as i understand rpmbuild has to run ON the target platform.

Not enough info to conclude whether you misunderstand something.

> 4. i made some progress..
>
> here is an updated pcore.spec

> BuildRoot: %{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}

Kindly pay attention to what I've written before, please. I've
pointed out that this "BuildRoot" tag specifies the path you are
interest in. Now:

> %install
> mkdir -p %{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}
> mkdir -p %{name}
> mkdir -p %{_bindir}
> install -d %{name}

You here want to use $RPM_BUILD_ROOT or %buildroot as explained earlier.
It is not helpful, if you go on with your own strange experiments instead
of following advice.

  %install
  rm -rf %{buildroot}
  mkdir -p %{buildroot}
  # and then continue to create files in that buildroot
  # for example:
  mkdir -p %{buildroot}%{_bindir}

> %files
> %defattr(-,root,root)
> %doc NEWS
>
> and i WAS able to get an rpm build with NEWS in the folderĀ
> /usr/share/doc/pcore-0.1/NEWS

That is something entirely different. The %doc statement as you use it
here for the NEWS file, copies the specified file from the builddir into
the buildroot's default docdir. That has nothing to do with your %install
section _except_ that the buildroot directory must exist (which is why
you need to create it for CentOS 5.8).

> Now i want to copy /pcore/obj/ggsnc/ggsnc to /usr/bin/
> How?

cp -p your LOCALPATH/TO/THE/FILE %{buildroot}%{_bindir}

where the local path refers to a file within the builddir.

> I have NO idea

Don't rush. Read replies more slowly and comment on specific quotes
instead of quoting everything at the bottom.