[Fedora-packaging] Request for confirmation: Which form is required for a review

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 21:01:39 UTC 2012

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 21:09:18 +0100, MR (Matthias) wrote:

> I think, a review generates work to do for the reviewer.

That's only one half of the story. :)

First of all, it is the _packager_ who ought to become familiar with the
Packaging Guidelines *and* the Review Guidelines and submit a package that
aims at passing the review process. Then, during the review process, it's
_two_ people (at least) who work on the package as a team and apply best
judgement. It's not only the reviewer. And often, it's the second pair
of eyes that's helpful. Not because the reviewer does "all the work", but
some reviewers spot poor packaging mistakes with the blink of an eye
already, whereas for the package submitter, it may be the 2nd or 3rd
package so far only.

> Why one
> shouldn't see, how much, work or which results were found during this
> work. (even if it reads ... ok, ... ok, ... ).

A checklist may be the result of a quick cut'n'paste job. Mistakes
included. It doesn't tell how much effort (or time) has been spent on the
review. On doing testbuilds, skimming over build logs, examining subpackage
contents and inter-dependencies, and on paying extra attention to details
that perhaps are not covered by the guidelines yet.