[Fedora-packaging] New packaging guidelines for Ruby

Stanislav Ochotnicky sochotnicky at redhat.com
Wed Feb 29 14:23:08 UTC 2012

Quoting Emanuel Rietveld (2012-02-29 12:18:57)
>On 02/29/2012 11:50 AM, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>>
>> Le Mar 28 février 2012 16:29, Vít Ondruch a écrit :
>>
>>> Pleas do not be mistaken. We are not speaking about building gems from
>>> sources. We are speaking about building from package manager output,
>>> i.e. build gem from gem.
>>
>> So we are shipping stuff, which is not build from other stuff we ship, but
>> from magic upstream binaries? Not nice at all.
>>

>It is worth noting that .java files compiled into .class files or .jar
>files is not the same thing as .rb files. .rb files are not compiled*

However I have seen gem files containing bundled jar files. Not sure if
gem unpacking actually helps things, but it might make it more easy to
spot perhaps. There as easy ways to detect such bundling though, so not
a problem. Just though I'd mention this use case

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com>

PGP: 7B087241