[Fedora-packaging] Creating a spin-off package

Jussi Lehtola jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jan 3 19:49:19 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 16:15:33 +0100
Simone Caronni <negativo17 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Everything is rebuilt every time there's the need to apply any change;
> while the docs are usually static for each release. With all the
> testing done for rawhide and the rebuilding of the same packages for
> RHEL 4/5/6 and Fedora 16 I lost a lot of time doing uploads for
> scratch builds and mock/koji rebuilds; so I would like to get away
> from this. Also RHEL 4 and 5 do not allow you to specify a separate
> BuildArch in a subpackage; which make "x86_64" pointless as an arch
> for a package containing PDF files.

Then why not just make a --without doc option (or a %global switch) in
the spec file? Then the docs would be built by default, but you could
also skip the building of the docs when you are just working on the package.

At least in the second option the sources for the -doc package need not
be included in the srpm at all.
--
Jussi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor