[Fedora-packaging] external source files for clementine

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Fri Jan 13 10:58:06 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 12:20:29AM -0500, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:

> Can you define "ordinary packages"? Should I write a Makefile or a
> shell script and turn the source files into shared libraries with some
> random sonames, and patch clementine to use these libraries?

You can even call directly the compiler in the spec file with correct
options, and/or ar.

To avoid the soname issue, you can only provide a static library.  If
you really want to do a shared library, it is not obvious to choose
a soname, as you would not want a soname that clashes with soname
introduced upstream later.

So, if you want shared libraries, the best, in my opinion, is to contact
upstream and propose them a build system for libraries.  If they don't
want it, a good thing may be to collaborate with other distros, if the
libraries are in other disctros, to have common sonames, and go back to
upstream to tell them what soname was used and the issue with clashing
sonames such that they can write a not somwhere tu use this soname
(or not, depending whether they introduced ABI incompatibilities).

--
Pat