[Fedora-packaging] RPM macros

Vít Ondruch vondruch at redhat.com
Tue Jul 10 11:29:44 UTC 2012

Hi,

I noticed that in revised haskell guidelines [1], there is mentioned the
ghc-rpm-macros package, which provides macros.ghc file, which in turns
provides some useful macros for packaging of Haskell packages. In Ruby,
we provide similar macro files in ruby-devel and rubygems-devel
subpackages respectively. Perl has their macros directly in the rpm
package itself.

This seems to be a bit inconsistent to me. So my question is: shouldn't
we standardize some best practices with regards of RPM macros? For
example for Ruby, we placed the macros into -devel subpackages, because
we believe that it is just development dependency. Any opinions?

Vit

[1] http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/packaging/2012-July/008527.html