[Fedora-packaging] packaging a library

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Mon May 7 17:44:09 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 09:36 -0800, Christopher Howard wrote:
> Hey guys, I'm guessing that packaging a library must be a somewhat
> different process than packaging other software (because a library and
> devel package must be produced), but I am not clear on what those
> differences are. I.e, what special information does the SPEC file
> require? Are the rpmbuild commands any different?
>
> I'd be glad to be pointed to the correct documentation. There didn't
> seem to be a section covering this in the Fedora RPM guide.

Hi Christopher,

The process is mostly the same. The only difference is that you need to
create a devel subpackage and ensure that you place the files in the
correct places and packages/subpackages. Here's a little more that you
need to do[1]. You could reference any of the library packages already
in Fedora to see how it is done if you want.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Shared_Libraries
--
Thanks,
Regards,