[Fedora-packaging] mp3 source (but not compiled) in squeak package

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 18:25:31 UTC 2012

On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 14:07:07 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:

> I'm really not trying to be difficult. I think one can reasonably see how
> what you're saying doesn't necessarily follow from what's written. The
> section on MP3 should be changed to make this more clear, to make things
> easier for both packagers and reviewers.

Well, I even quoted it for you.

[...] MP3 is heavily patented [...] Some upstream packages include patents
or trademarks that we are not allowed to ship even as source code. [...]

IMO, it's leading nowhere if you're reading inbetween the lines. I fail
to see why we would ship something "heavily patented".

> > > but then I came across this reviewed, accepted package which has been in
> > > Fedora for three and a half years, so I wanted to check if that was a
> > > mistake or if my attitude had been over-zealous.
> > Doing reviews isn't easy.
>
> I didn't mean to imply that it was, or either ineptitude or maliciousness.
> Just lack of clarity.

Would that help? One reviewer would skim over the contents of a large
source code archive, another would not. One reviewer would miss a
subfolder deep in the tree even with "MP3" in its name, another one
would notice it but not realize that it's an implementation of a codec
and not just some frame/ID3 parsing or similar. More fun you'd get if
it the source contains problematic code other than MP3. ;)

--
Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle) - Linux 3.5.4-2.fc17.x86_64
loadavg: 0.33 0.20 0.20