[Fedora-packaging] Exceptions for packages placing files into /bin, /sbin, /lib or /lib64

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Oct 2 17:03:00 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 02, 2012 at 09:51:33AM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> We could grant an exception for the linker and somehow document that
> although UsrMove ha gone through, the compatiblity symlinks can never ever
> go away (FPC + FESCo decision).

+1 to this option. Making /bin and /sbin go away completely is not part of
the "Benefit to Fedora" for the feature. (In fact, it's not listed as all.)
In fact, since a huge amount of documentation and a great number of scripts
refer to binaries located there, the cost of removing them is quite high and
the value (for what, to make / look pretty?) is quite low.