[Fedora-packaging] fedora-foo.desktop vendor prefix breakage

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Sat Jan 26 17:39:19 UTC 2013

On 01/20/2013 06:54 AM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> Here's real-world breakage due to the old vendor prefix in .desktop
> file names.
>
>    $ rpmls empathy|grep desktop$
>    -rw-r--r--  /usr/share/applications/fedora-empathy.desktop
>
> GNOME Shell wants "empathy.desktop" instead for its default Dash favourites:
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=287759&goto=newpost
>
> [...]
>
> I've not opened a bugzilla report about this, because there are over 200
> open tickets for empathy, and I can't tell whether the empathy packagers
> would like the suggestion to rename the .desktop file instead of gnome-shell
> having to be patched.
>
> [...]
>
> It's time to get rid of the old vendor prefix, even if that causes minor
> breakage for app links on desktops.

I would tend to agree.  The existing guidelines already strongly
discourage their use, except in the case of a prefix already existing in
a release.

These legacy packages and packagers may well be unaware of the issue.

In this particular case, imo, gnome-shell probably ought to be patched
in f18, but for f19+, empathy's prefix certainly should be dropped.

-- rex