[Fedora-packaging] arched BuildRequires?

Björn Esser bjoern.esser at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 20:52:46 UTC 2013

Am Donnerstag, den 13.06.2013, 22:44 +0200 schrieb Mattias Ellert:
> tor 2013-06-13 klockan 19:20 +0200 skrev Björn Esser:
>
> > What will break the spec by removing _isa-macro from BRs?  Is there any
> > PROVEN reason for this?  I'm NOT talking about the final-Requires in
> > spec.
>
> It is VERY EASY to construct such an example.
>
> Consider a package containing the following BRs:
>
> BuildRequires:	nss-devel >= 3.10
> BuildRequires:	openssl-devel
> BuildRequires:	cppunit-devel
> BuildRequires:	glibmm24-devel
> BuildRequires:	libdb-cxx-devel
>
> All the BRs are satisfied:
>
> $ rpm -q --whatprovides nss-devel openssl-devel cppunit-devel
> glibmm24-devel libdb-cxx-devel
> nss-devel-3.14.3-2.fc18.i686
> openssl-devel-1.0.1e-4.fc18.x86_64
> cppunit-devel-1.12.1-8.fc18.x86_64
> glibmm24-devel-2.34.1-1.fc18.x86_64
> libdb-cxx-devel-5.3.21-3.fc18.i686
>

> rpmbuild does not complain about missing BRs, but starts the build:
>
> Executing(%prep): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.5K5NNA
> + umask 022
> .
> .
> .
> checking for NSS... no
> configure: WARNING: Cannot locate nss lib
> configure: Looking for db_cxx.h in standard locations
> checking db_cxx.h usability... yes
> checking db_cxx.h presence... yes
> checking for db_cxx.h... yes
> configure: Looking for libdb_cxx.so or libdb_cxx.dylib in standard
> locations
> checking for main in -ldb_cxx... no
> .
> .
> .
> /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /lib/libdb_cxx.so when searching for
> -ldb_cxx
> /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libdb_cxx.so when searching
> for -ldb_cxx
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ldb_cxx

So not the spec file is broken, but you actually do not have the libs
needed for linking installed on your local machine... That's all. Just
an improper build-environment.

No more to say about this here... Look at the guidelines:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#BuildRequires_and_.25.7B_isa.7D

Cheers,
  Björn