[Fedora-packaging] arched BuildRequires?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 14:23:12 UTC 2013

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 15:39:13 +0200, Mattias Ellert wrote:

> fre 2013-06-14 klockan 15:07 +0200 skrev Michael Schwendt:
> > On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 15:26:59 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> >

> > > No, rpmbuild does not use src.rpm requires for determining
> > > build-requires because they're no good for that.
> >
> > But yum-builddep does evaluate them.
>
> Then file a bug against yum-builddep for doing the wrong thing.

Rejected. Sorry. I still think using %_isa in BR is the wrong thing
to do for reasons other than querying downloaded src.rpms.

> That one
> tool is using some metadata for what it was not intended to be used is
> no argument for forcing the metadata to fit this tool at the expense of
> creating huge breakages elsewhere.

We also run repoquery on remote "sources" repos to examine build
requirements in src.rpm packages. That would be broken by %_isa, too.
The occasional arch-conditional BR is worse enough already (since we try
to build for all archs, and we even track ExcludeArch usage).

"yumdownloader --resolve --source …" is another tool that evaluates
src.rpm metadata without rebuilding them for the target arch.

> > > The requires of src.rpm
> > > only reflect what build-requires were active during the creation of that
> > > specific src.rpm file,
> >
> > Which is nearly what I've been preaching. "The spec file's BuildRequires
> > become the src.rpm's Requires" depending on the environment the src.rpm is
> > built within.
> >
> > And why collect "what build-requires were active during the creation of that
> > specific src.rpm file" even when building a src.rpm with --nodeps?
>
> You are correct that the requires recorded in the srpm are not really
> useful, and it is not usable for what you think it is usable.

This is not about "what I think" but about what has been done so far
by people and by tools. It is not a problem for me to adjust my work-flow
for every src.rpm and either reconstruct it _always_ or have any tools
parse only the spec file. Before considering adding %_isa to BuildRequires,
existing tools and repo metadata ought to be changed, please.

--
Michael Schwendt
Fedora release 19 (Schrödinger’s Cat) - Linux 3.9.5-301.fc19.x86_64