[Fedora-packaging] How to handle py2/py3 scripts under /usr/bin

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Fri Mar 1 08:11:05 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> Dear list,
>
> Django is a python based web-framework. The latest version 1.5 was
> released a few days ago, introducing compatibility to python 2 and
> python 3. It also carries one script to be installed into
> /usr/bin/django-admin,
>
> The question here is now: How to handle that? Should that be the py2
> version, py3 now, use an additional name for the py3 version? Using
> alternatives was also a proposal?
> --
> Matthias Runge <mrunge at matthias-runge.de>
>                <mrunge at fedoraproject.org>

I'd advise going with the standard solution that can be found in most of the other packages, e.g. py.test or nose. In django's case:
django-admin-%{python2_version} # currently expands to "-2.7"
django-admin-%{python3_version} # currently expands to "-3.3"
django-admin # points to "-2.7" version
When we switch to Python 3 as a default, we just flip django-admin to point to the 3.x version.

--
Regards,
Bohuslav "Slavek" Kabrda.