[Fedora-packaging] Bundling

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Mon Mar 4 16:09:39 UTC 2013

On 04/03/13 15:21, Jon Ciesla wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 11:02 AM, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu
> <mailto:tom at compton.nu>> wrote:
>
>     The question I have is whether this amounts to bundling that needs
>     to be resolved and/or granted an exception? or can it pass review as is?
>
>     Thanks for any advice you can offer,
>
> What do the answers to these questions give you?
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:No_Bundled_Libraries#Standard_questions

Well I'm sure each case will have different answers to at least some of
those, but as I understand it those are only directly relevant when
applying for an exception anyway.

So I suppose that does answer my question in that it sounds like you
think this is bundling that needs to be resolved or an exception applied
for so I shall proceed on that basis.

The biggest issue is probably the _deepEqual routine, which is a private
function in Node's core that has been copied into an extension package
(packaged as nodejs-deep-equal) to make it available to other extensions
- that has already been approved. When this was questioned the owner
said that as it was a "fork" of the core no exception was needed though
I'm not sure what in the guidelines allow this.

It has also been copied into several other test frameworks which have in
many cases then customised it to reflect their ideas of what should and
should not be considered "equal" when comparing two objects.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/