[Fedora-packaging] Moving non-guideline stuff out of guidelines

Stanislav Ochotnicky sochotnicky at redhat.com
Fri Mar 22 16:18:45 UTC 2013

As noted when we were giving FPC latest Java guidelines to review, we are in
process of restructuring them in more significant ways.

One of the most important aspects is moving documentation of tools outside of
guidelines. Some parts of current Java guidelins[1-6] are prime examples of
things  that we are planning to move out of guidelines and into separate "Java
Packaging HOWTO" document.

Other guidelines probably don't suffer from this as much as Java ones (50% of
text is description of how to use tools), but still...

Goal is of course not to circumvent Fedora policies but make sure that
guidelines contain the policy, whereas real documentation contains descriptions
of how to do things. In other words guidelines should IMO contain *what* (not)
to do, and other documents should tell packagers *how* to do it.

Any thoughts on the matter? It will be some time before we submit an update to
guidelines either way, but I like early feedback :-)

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Java#add_maven_depmap_macro
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Java#Additional_mappings
[3] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Java#Alternative_JAR_file_names
[4] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Java#Single_artifact_per_package
[5] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Java#Assignment_of_the_Maven_artifacts_to_the_subpackages
[6] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Java#Patching_Maven_pom.xml_files

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com>
Software Engineer - Developer Experience

PGP: 7B087241