[Fedora-packaging] Inconsistencies in Python package naming

Thomas Spura tomspur at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 28 13:47:46 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Mar 2013 14:09:41 +0100, Thomas Spura wrote:
>
>> %python_provides PyGTK $interpreter would help here, which provides
>> the PyGTK package from the correct $interpreter-pygtk package. This
>> way, you know for sure, where to search for in bugzilla, such as
>> python2-pygtk (or python2-PyGTK)
>
> Bugzilla "component" names are the src.rpm %{name}s. You would first
> need to change that, so a pygtk2.src.rpm is not added to Bugzilla as
> "pygtk2" but with the names of (all?) its binary rpm(s) it builds.

What I meant is, that we have e.g.:
python2-pygtk.src.rpm
python3-pygtk.src.rpm
pypy-pygtk.src.rpm

each of them have this line in the spec files respectively:
%python_provides PyGTK python2
%python_provides PyGTK python3
%python_provides PyGTK pypy

and only the python2-pygtk package emits the PyGTK provides, and the
others don't.
This way, "yum install PyGTK" still works, but you still need to know,
that it was built from the $default_interpreter-pygtk package as there
won't be a pygtk2 component in bugzilla.

I think, this is less confusing, than always searching for the correct
src.rpm name for any python bug you want to file.
What do you think?

Greetings,
   Tom