[Fedora-packaging] Using SCLs for ROS releases vs simply dumping them into /opt/ros/$ros-release

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Fri Feb 7 18:49:56 UTC 2014

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 02/07/2014 01:51 AM, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Bloom, the ROS generator system has recently gotten support to
> > generate rpms[1]. At the moment, the author is simply putting
> > releases into /opt/ros/$ros-release and isn't making use of SCLs.
> > Is this OK,
>
> No, this is not OK
>
> > or
> > should they use SCLs?
> Neither.
>
> The package should integrate into the system directories.

If it is a Fedora package, then it should integrate into the system
directories. If it is a third-party package that doesn't follow
Fedora's packaging standards, then this is what /opt is for. "ros" is
registered as a provider name for the Open Source Robotics Foundation
(http://www.lanana.org/lsbreg/providers/providers.txt), so if that's
the ROS we're talking about, then /opt/ros is right.

That doesn't answer the question about SCLs though.

Björn Persson