[Fedora-packaging] Future of gridgengine package

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Thu Feb 20 23:48:19 UTC 2014

Hello -

  I'm the maintainer of the Fedora gridengine package.  Originally this was
Sun's gridengine project.  With the acquisition of Sun by Oracle, it was taken
closed source again and then finally acquired by Univa.  Univa does have a
gridengine repository here:

https://github.com/gridengine/gridengine

but it hasn't been touched since 2012-06-01.

When Sun was bought, two different projects took on maintaining the code based
on the last released open source version:

- OpenGridScheduler - http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/

which is what I started packaging in Fedora.  It's last release was GE2011p1
on 2012-07-09, and only one commit since then.

- Son of Grid Engine - https://arc.liv.ac.uk/trac/SGE/

which as is turns out seems to be much more active - most recent release is
sge-8.1.6.tar.gz on 2013-10-28.

So, I think it's time to finally switch to Son of Grid Engine (esp. for
EPEL7).  My question is, to I bite the bullet and submit a new package "sge"?
 One hesitation is that the SGE project provides rpms as well with the
"gridengine" name, despite the tarball being "sge":
http://arc.liv.ac.uk/downloads/SGE/releases/8.1.6/  It's kind of the name
people are used to.

If I keep the gridengine name I'll need to add an epoch (version 2011.11p1
---> 8.1.6).

If I move to sge, I assume I can:

Obsolete: gridengine <= 2011.11p1-16
Provides: gridengine = 2011.11p1-17 ?

Suggestions?  Just needing some motivation and moral support really to pull
the trigger.

Thanks,
  Orion

--