[Fedora-packaging] Naming guidelines: outdated info about tilde in version

Vít Ondruch vondruch at redhat.com
Thu Feb 27 11:21:06 UTC 2014

Dne 27.2.2014 11:48, Miro Hrončok napsal(a):
>> It could be transformed into
>>
>> $ rpmdev-vercmp 4.1.0 4.1.0~rc1
>> 4.1.0 > 4.1.0~rc1
>
> According to current guidelines, rc1 belongs to release tag.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:NamingGuidelines#Pre-Release_packages

That is easy as long as you manually updating the package. But I am
writing provides generator for RubyGems.

Lets say I have package foo-4.1.0.rc1. The generator is going to
generate provide such as "rubygem(foo) = 4.1.0.rc1" which is always
higher then the stable 4.1.0. What should I do in this case?

The tilde provides elegant solution, i.e. I transform the last dot into
tilde and everything is just perfect. I could drop the rc1 entirely, but
that is completely different version.

Vít