[Fedora-packaging] Should release number (DistTag) agree between branches ?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Feb 4 16:05:05 UTC 2015

On 02/04/2015 02:58 PM, Brad Bell wrote:

> 1. If I used a higher dist (same version) number in f20, then it should
> also work in f21 ?
Well, in Fedora/EPEL, you are not supposed to choose %dist, but to use
the value provided through the build-environment (rpm, mock, ...).

> 2. Where does el6 fit in the order relative to f20 ?

rpm-wise %dist is part of EVR (epoch, version, release) of a package.
When using identical EVRs with %dist appended, "el6" is less than "fc20"

# rpmver foo-1.1-1.el6 foo-1.1-1.fc20
1.1-1.fc20 is newer

Ralf