[Fedora-packaging] Question regarding packaging standalone java jar's.

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 22:41:38 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 02, 2015 at 04:46:47PM -0500, Eric Griffith wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> First off, let me just get this out of the way: Not looking to get
> this package into the repo's or even into RPMFusion, I'm just playing
> around to help myself learn and I had this on hand.

[snip]

> I'm assuming that i should be creating the directory structure under
> %prep, yes? via "mkdir -p" but wouldn't it then get deleted when
> %install happened? and what would even be the correct command
> sequence? $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/%{_bindir}/ ? then copy %source0 into said
> directory?

%prep is for preparing to build.  So things like untarring source files and
applying patches.

%build is for actually building.

%install is for putting things into the %{buildroot} (aka $RPM_BUILD_ROOT).

So in your example, since there is no source (you're just dropping the files
you retrieved into the filesystem), you'd want to do your mkdir -p and cp -p
SOURCEFILE %{buildroot}/DESTINATION_DIR/FILENAME in %install.