[Fedora-packaging] how to handle translations problems with macro find_lang

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Thu Mar 19 15:34:13 UTC 2015

MG> The *.language files are also locale files in common sense, but
MG> find_lang isn't able to handle them.

I guess you could try passing --all-name and see if it finds anything.
I don't think it will help, though.  And if it doesn't, then don't use
%find_lang.  If it doesn't work for your situation, you can always just
list the files out normally.  %find_lang is simply a really huge
convenience in the vast majority of cases.

Yes, the guidelines say you _must_ use %find_lang:
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Why_do_we_need_to_use_.25find_lang.3F
but, hey, if it doesn't actually work because the files you're trying to
use aren't "locale" files according to %find_lang, then do what you have
to do.  Certainly add comments to your spec indicating why %find_lang
doesn't work, and maybe file a bug against rpm explaining the
situation.  %find_lang just calls /usr/lib/rpm/find-lang.sh and it
should be trivial to add another option to process the files you have
(assuming you can actually understand find-lang.sh, which is.... not
particularly easy to follow.

You could also run your own script to do it directly (copied and
modified from find-lang.sh) if you don't like listing out all of the
files directly.

 - J<