[Fedora-packaging] Proposal: Remove BuildRequires: exceptions from the guidelines

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Fri May 8 10:33:01 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 8:10 PM, Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs at math.uh.edu> wrote:

> VS> s/RPM/rpmbuild/, and in addition to running shell scripts it is in a
> VS> state where it can unpack common archive types and apply patches?
>
> RPM can do that, but you should not assume how.  It could link in
> libraries to do that without actually installing any executables it
> could call.  Or it could call things which are not in $PATH.

Sure (well except that it's still rpmbuild, not rpm...). I wasn't
making any assumptions how it does that, actually pretty much the
opposite. I just listed its features/state that can be assumed so that
people won't start adding build dependencies e.g. for tar and gzip
whenever they have a tgz source tarball unpacked by %setup or one for
patch when they have patches to apply with %patch etc.