rawhide vendorarch?

Marcela Mašláňová mmaslano at redhat.com
Tue Dec 7 15:57:35 UTC 2010

On 12/07/2010 02:48 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could somebody explain this change between f14 and f15?
>
> f14: perl -V:vendorarch
> vendorarch='/usr/lib64/perl5';
> f15:  perl -V:vendorarch
> vendorarch='/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl';
>
> This causes f15 to install their vendorarch'ed modules under
> /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl
> instead of
> /usr/lib64/perl5
>

> I.e. rebuilding packages under f15/rawhide causes perl-modules to move
> from /usr/lib64/perl5 to /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl
>
> E.g.:
> # rpm -qlp perl-HTTP-Server-Simple-0.43-1.fc14.noarch.rpm
> /usr/share/perl5/HTTP/Server/Simple.pm
> /usr/share/perl5/HTTP/Server/Simple/CGI.pm
> /usr/share/perl5/HTTP/Server/Simple/CGI/Environment.pm
>
> # rpm -qlp perl-HTTP-Server-Simple-0.43-1.fc15.noarch.rpm
> /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/HTTP/Server/Simple.pm
> /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/HTTP/Server/Simple/CGI.pm
> /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/HTTP/Server/Simple/CGI/Environment.pm
>
> In generaly, I fail to understand why "vendor_perl" is necessary and why
> this change was introduced to f15.
>

> Also, I am facing FTBS errors, which I suspect to be related to this
> f14->f15 change and to rawhide currently containing a mixture of
> perl-packages using vendorarch=/usr/share/perl5 and others
> vendorarch=/usr/share/perl5/vendor_arch.
>

> Ralf
>

> --
> Fedora Extras Perl SIG
> http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/SIGs/Perl

Hello,
I sent email in July about that:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/perl-devel/2010-July/024634.html

I applied the patch in September, because I completely forgot about that

email. The idea was install all modules into core directory
/usr/lib64/perl5 or /usr/share/perl5. The vendorarch directory

/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perlshould beempty. If core and vendor

are the same as it is in F-14, then it's non-existent module looked up
twice in the same

path without luck.

So, my suggestion is change all modules to install into core directories and

leave vendorarch empty for personal RPMs, which also cut down time for
looking up

modules. (Empty vendorarch toke less then core twice).

There were questions in some new reviews if it's good idea to replace
vendor with core,

because they could be needed in future. I'm looking forward your
comments/ideas.

Best regards,

Marcela

--