Why does Fedpra's perl need systemtap?

Marcela Mašláňová mmaslano at redhat.com
Mon Dec 13 09:33:28 UTC 2010

On 12/12/2010 07:45 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> Sure, we can't avoid RH's addiction to python, but that's not my point.
>
> It's the impact glueing perl and python together has on upgrades, such
> as user-upgrade from Fedora N -> Fedora N+1, or python/perl version jumps.
>
> This impact already is visible when upgrading Fedora 13 to Fedora 14.
>
> That's why I am asking
> * Why does perl need systemtap?
> * What does perl use systemtap for?
>
> So far, I haven't seen any answer to these questions.

It is possible to ask maintainers of systemtap if it's important to have
everything built with enabled systemtap probes. One should say so
after checking their feature page for F-13 [1]. Perl wasn't mentioned
there, because it didn't have this option yet.

In my opinion answer to both your question is here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SystemtapStaticProbes#Summary

Marcela

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SystemtapStaticProbes#Scope

--