Packages with inactive owners orphaned and inactive comaintainers removed

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 04:18:15 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 04:36:24AM +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> I was under the impression, it's the perl-sig's intention to have
> packages which loose its primary maintainer, to be "colaboratively"
> maintained. It's at least how I remember the situation when JPO had
> quit and had left 100s of packages behind.
>
> IIRC, back then, packages having had a co-maintainer had been
> assigned to the 1st co-comaintainer or somebody having stood up to
> voluneer filling the gap. Those remaining without maintainer were
> assigned to "spot as placeholder", because the packagedb wasn't able
> to cope with "maintainer == perl-sig".
> I guess the packagedb situation hasn't sufficiently improved since then?

Correct.  No one has spent any time to allow groups to be owners.  This
would be a significant rearchitecting so I haven't assigned it as an EasyFix
task to anyone who has just arrived in infrastructure.

Note that the perl-sig pseudo-user could own the packages if the perl-sig
wants to continue maintaining them and doesn't want them orphaned.  That
works right now.  What it wouldn't grant is commit rights to the packages.

> Anyway, I just noticed the iburrell packages also are on your list.
> IMO, these should likely followup the "cweyl treatment", because much
> of perl would not be usable without them.

<nod>  Someone could pick them up or (since we still have a list of which
packages these are) I could assign them to someone in a placeholder
capacity or as primary owner.  cweyl had specifically asked that mmaslano be
made a comaintainer of all his perl* packages earlier so that seemed like it
wouldn't make waves if I set the ownership to prevent orphaning.

-Toshio