Fedora 16 on Power - install problems very early in the process

Louis Lagendijk louis at lagendijk.xs4all.nl
Mon Dec 26 19:45:28 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-12-26 at 12:57 -0500, Dennis Clarke wrote:

> >> Thanks for the help, however, same result. I end up with black on the left of the screen and
> >> blue
> >> on the right. No text .. no menus, nothing.
> >>
> >> Wish there was a headless option with a serial port.
> >>
> >> Dennis
> >>

> > try
> > linux vnc
> > see:
> > http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/16/html/Installation_Guide/VNC_Whitepaper-installation.html
> >
> > I have still some problems with my imac g5 display in X though after
> > installation.
>
> good suggestion, tried that and 25 secs into the install the system switches from output of
> messages to the console to a black screen with a blue section on the right. Then it just sits
> there.
>
> So I figure my system hardware is borked, perhaps.

Try the Fedora 16 beta. That was what I used to install my Imac. I later
upgraded to the Fedora 16 release. The beta kernel worked with the
nomodeset kernel command line option, the release kernel does not work
with it. On the beta kernel I have not been able to get X running, it
kind of works on the release kernel, X works when started with startx.
When I boot into graphical mode, it shows the background on the 640*480
mode and a full screen. The display settings show 2 screens, one unknown
screen. Graphical login is kind of borked: blue with red...
I wish i had some more time to p[lay around a write a decent BZ...
Louis