private-shared-object-provides

Thomas Spura tomspur at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jun 19 15:31:39 UTC 2010

Hi list,

with a recent rpmlint, there will be a new warning
'private-shared-object-provides'. This will always trigger a *.so file
inside of %{python_sitearch} as a wrong dependency:
"""
A shared object soname provides is provided by a file in a path from
which other packages should not directly load shared objects from.
Such shared objects should thus not be depended on and they should not
result in provides in the containing package.  Get rid of the provides
if appropriate, for example by filtering it out during build.  Note
that in some cases this may require disabling rpmbuild's internal
dependency generator.
"""

Is there a easy way to fix the find-requires script, so this won't be
emitted in next builds? The current workaround is to manually grep away
the unwanted provides, but... it's a workaround.

While viewing the current find-requires script I found the file
'/usr/lib/rpm/python.prov', which apparently doesn't exist yet.
Is this on someone's TODO list? If not, maybe I'll have a look.

	Thomas