To construct a Zope skyscraper on Fedora

Chen Lei supercyper1 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 04:54:52 UTC 2010

> I agree, we've got lots to talk about.  The most important things are:
> 1. Packaging guidelines
> 2. Component upgrade guidelines
> 3. Namespace issues (addressed above)
> 4. Zope 2 vs Zope 3 (again, addressed above)
>
> I think we should talk sooner rather than later.  Anyone want to setup a
> meeting time?
>
> Just an FYI, it is my current plan (probably because I am completely
> ignorant as to how much pain this will cause) is to simply package the
> latest version of all Zenoss dependencies and then work through whatever
> bugs I find.  I'm in a somewhat unique situation though in that I have
> the ability to commit to upstream.  This may be a less than ideal plan
> for other applications.
>
> As I mentioned to Jonathan on IRC, I think the best plan is to try to
> get something working'ish as soon as possible and then try to shakedown
> the details from there.  If we bog ourselves down in policy (an easy
> quagmire to get stuck in when in zopeland) we may get too discouraged to
> continue.  Not to dismiss what will be the very needed policy, I just
> want to make sure no-one gets burned out.
>
> One thing we may want to consider is a "tenant" policy.  That is, the
> zope stack as a whole has "tenants" (Zenoss, Plone, etc).  The tenants
> would be formally defined and any upgrade to any component in the
> platform would require signoff from all the tenants who depend on that
> component (or some derivation thereof).  I suspect that the short-term
> trade-off of buildouts/bundling is not as valuable as the long-term
> value of testing a software product across multiple versions of its
> dependencies.
>
> Nathaniel

I suggest to stop of submitting package review for zope components
first before we complete the wiki page and treat all of the above
issues(mainly dependencies and namespace issue), we have a lot of time
to do so. F14 is targeting python2.7, we still need to wait this. Hope
most of those components can be compatible with python2.7.

FYI, zope2 can co-exist with zope3, but plone4 can't co-exist with
plone3(plone4 is an update for plone3).

We also need to set up a maillist like other SIG to talk zope-related issues.

Chen Lei