Python SIG

José Matos jamatos at fc.up.pt
Thu Mar 18 15:11:15 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 17 March 2010 19:36:35 David Malcolm wrote:
> How about this:
> "A SIG for people who are interested in Python on Fedora. This includes
> packaging and optimizing the various Python 2 and Python 3 runtimes
> (CPython, Jython), packaging libraries and applications, setting and
> improving standards for packaging them as RPM's and maintaining Python
> packages for Fedora."
> (somewhat copied from Ruby)

I find this a good start (just as you do). :-)

Just to add to the discussion my main interest in this SIG is on scientific
and/or educational python packages.

What we see, in terms of packaging, in projects like sage
http://www.sagemath.org/ or in other projects (proprietary) like EPD
(Enthought Python distribution) or Python(x,y) is that put everything under
the sun on those packages.

It would be nice to have the free parts in Fedora...

Such as the above statement is written I see these goals there.
--
José Abílio