Switching to Python 3

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Fri Aug 3 06:57:08 UTC 2012

Hi,
I'd like to start a discussion about the release where we should switch to Python 3. As I have learned recently, Ubuntu 12.10 will have Python 3 as default [1], which makes me a sad panda :(
We always take pride in being close to upstream and having the bleeding edge. Python 3 is stable and more and more libraries support it. So I'd like to propose an idea to switch to Python 3 for Fedora 19.

Please note, that I don't want to start a flamewar with this, but a serious discussion. I want to know what python SIG thinks about taking this step before taking it to wider public on fedora-devel.

--
Regards,
Bohuslav "Slavek" Kabrda.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QuantalQuetzal/TechnicalOverview/Alpha3#Python_3.0