Switching to Python 3

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Fri Aug 3 07:55:26 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> On 08/03/2012 04:57 PM, Bohuslav Kabrda wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'd like to start a discussion about the release where we should
> > switch to Python 3. As I have learned recently, Ubuntu 12.10 will
> > have Python 3 as default [1], which makes me a sad panda :(
>
> Just to clarify Ubuntu's Python 3 plans: they're not quite as crazy
> as Arch.
>
> On 12.10, /usr/bin/python will still point to python2.7. The big
> change
> they're aiming for is that their *installation CDs* will not include
> Python 2, only Python 3, which means any Python utilities they
> include
> with the base OS must be ported to Python 3.
>
> > We always take pride in being close to upstream and having the
> > bleeding edge. Python 3 is stable and more and more libraries
> > support it. So I'd like to propose an idea to switch to Python 3
> > for Fedora 19.
>
> I believe Fedora uses Python for more core OS infrastructure than
> Ubuntu
> does, so it's a bigger migration challenge. Does anaconda run on
> Python
> 3? Does yum?

Well, I believe they don't. But if noone pushes them, they never will. I think that a decision needs to be made when the transition will happen, so that these projects have a time frame, in which they need to adapt to Python 3.

> It's that delta of Python applications that Fedora ships as required
> components in the base OS, but Ubuntu does not, that will potentially
> cause problems.

Sure, it will cause problems. But it will cause them eventually. Fedora 19 may be too soon (personally I think it's not), but we should really start pushing the various projects to actually start doing something about Python 3.

> Cheers,
> Nick.
>
> --
> Nick Coghlan
> Red Hat Infrastructure Engineering & Development, Brisbane

Regards,
Bohuslav "Slavek" Kabrda.