Switching to Python 3

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Mon Aug 13 08:03:55 UTC 2012

On 08/13/2012 05:09 PM, Bohuslav Kabrda wrote:
> Ok, then I would suggest using Tom Spura's idea about making only python2- and python3- packages (maybe with the virtual python- provides for python2- packages, as Toshio has mentioned). We could target this for F19 and we could also start helping various upstreams with switching to python 3 and see where this will take us. Does that sound good?

That sounds pretty sensible to me. One sticking point may be upstreams
that still want to support RHEL 5, since supporting both 2.4 and 3.x out
of the same code base is fairly painful (whereas 2.4-2.7 is pretty easy
if you don't mind missing out on the shiny new features in later
versions and 2.6+ and 3.2+ is fairly straightforward with the aid of the
six project and/or some compatibility modules).

However, that problem can be addressed on a case-by-case basis as it
comes up.

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan
Red Hat Infrastructure Engineering & Development, Brisbane