Renaming Feature for F19 [was: Re: Switching to Python 3]

Thomas Spura tomspur at fedoraproject.org
Thu Aug 23 08:05:21 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 8:53 AM, Bohuslav Kabrda <bkabrda at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]

Both +1

> - As I understand, we will have "python-$name" virtual provides for
> python2 packages. Are we going to throw them away eventually or transfer
> them to python3 packages once the time is right? I'd probably suggest
> dropping them after some time (next release after we finish all this
> renaming work?), although it may be somehow confusing to the users (until
> they get used to it).

I think it's useful to have something like $default_implementation-$name,
so it's easier to change the $default_implementation and just rebuild all
packages. When maintainers want to do the switch to python3 (or pypy or
whatever) at the same time, when e.g. /usr/bin/python changes, this is a
nice way to do it.

Maybe we could even do this in a macro, e.g.
%provide_python_package $packagename $implementation_from_spec_file

This can then provide python-$packagename, when
$implementation_from_spec_file is equals to the generic defined default and
do nothing otherwise. This way, moving the provides python-foo from python2
to another python implementation happens with a simple rebuild (But does
anything a bit more complex).

> - Why exactly should pypy be pypy1? Are we also planning having more of
> these in parallel?

Just in case, that pypy2 will support python3 and NO python2 and will be
backward incompatible? It's a proposal and can also be removed, if
necessary.

> - As for the python2-foo/cpython2-foo, I'd stay with python2-foo. It's
> just the good old Python, this would be very confusing, I think (also, the
> upstream name is Python rather than cPython, isn't it?).

Ok. Just that plain "python" is considered as "default implementation" and
"python2" might be considered as "default implementation 2". This might
cause confusion too. But I'd prefer to keep python2-foo too.

> This is going to be lots of work, basically all the packages will need to
> be re-reviewed. I'd suggest having a meeting about it, after we clarify the
> most important points here and then start, the sooner the better.

 That's why, I want to try bypassing the reviews like mingw once did. It
will still be plenty of work to rename anything, but at least the
re-reviews might be dropped...

How about next Wed 8/29 at 16-17 UTC for the first meeting?
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Meeting_channel

About Jython:
I think, we should find an agreement, what counts as "allowed python
implementation you are free to choose from", e.g. the python2-debug
discussion. We should add that to the agenda for the IRC meeting and
discuss then about Jython. (I'd be +0 in this case... :))

Greetings,
    Tom