Django packages - proposed name changes

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Wed Jan 18 11:27:50 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

> On 18/01/12 10:38, Bohuslav Kabrda wrote:
> > Hi Pythonists! in RHBZ #736776, Yury V. Zaytsev proposed renaming
> > all Django packages (including Django itself) to python-django-*.
> > This change is suggested because of current inconsistent state:
> > Django and Django-south packages start with capital letters, other
> > Django extension libraries start with lowercase letters - django-*.
> > Also, since Django is a Python framework (not a standalone app),
> > all of the modules should have 'python-' prepended. Personally, I
> > agree with Yury and I think we should make this change. Here are
> > the steps that I propose: - discuss it on this list - ask FPC what
> > they think - create a special section in Python packaging
> > guidelines for packaging Django extensions/libraries, if we agree
> > that we should do this change - perhaps postponing this change to
> > F18 might be a good idea
> >
> > Note, that this change should not affect applications written in
> > Django, only Django itself and its extensions/libraries. I would
> > also consider using some kind of virtual provides, so that if
> > someone types "yum install django", it will work - maybe each
> > Django extension/library could have a virtual provide like
> > "Provides: django(foo) = %{version}".
> >
> > So, what do you think?
> >
> > Regards, Bohuslav. _______________________________________________
> Hi,
>
> renaming requires a re-review of packages.

Yep, I know, but I think we shouldn't let this hold us back. The packages have already passed once, so I think it wouldn't be much of a pain.

> I think, this step should become synchronized with other packages,
> such
> as squirrelmail -> php-squirrelmail (and other php packages, such as
> renaming cups-php to php-cups. Naming should be implemented
> constistently throughout the distribution. Could we use this renaming
> to implement any other renaming of packages without requiring
> re-reviews?

I think that we should solve Python and leave PHP to PHP guys. PHP has its own guidelines, and if they are not creating and approving packages that conform with the guidelines, it's their fault (but I agree that they should do something like that, too). I'm not sure if the renaming can be achieved in any other way than re-reviewing, but I think that the number of Django packages is not that high, so let's stick with re-reviewing.

> Maybe the described solution via virtual provides could solve the
> actual problem. Newer django-packages should be packaged as
> python-django-foobar

I see your point, but what I meant was that the packages should be named properly (python-django-*) and have a virtual provide django-*. I think it's not so big transition that we wouldn't be able to get it to F18 (but I would recommend against getting it to F17, as time is short).

> The latter would just need a provenpackager and some time to adjust
> requires and provides of packages.
>
> Disadvantage would be ballooning of the requirement solver tree in a
> package manager.

We have the virtual provides everywhere in Ruby packages and it works fine - and there are much more dependencies there, so I think this shouldn't be a problem.