python-polib supports Python2 and Python3

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 07:14:52 UTC 2012

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 03:06:51PM -0500, Dylan Semler wrote:
> I believe polib provided by the current python-polib rpm supports both python2
> and python3[1].  However, the rpm only provides source in the python2.7/
> site-packages directory and there is no python3-polib rpm.
>
> I don't know the correct way to handle these types of packages, but should the
> polib rpm be updated to place symlinks of the polib files from the python2.7/
> site-packages to python3.2/site-packages?  Or should a python3-polib rpm be
> created using the same source?
>
> I've tested the symlink workaround by successfully building dupeguru (written
> in python3 and requiring polib).  I don't have any specific experience with
> polib to test further.

Most of the needed information is documented here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Python#Subpackages

It basically installs two copies of the files, one for the python2
subpackage and one for the python3 subpackage.  It uses the typical python
setup.py build to do that, though, because many projects don't work from
a single set of source files -- the sources need to be converted using 2to3
or similar before they'll run on python3.

-Toshio