Reassigning most of my packages to "python-maint at redhat.com"

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Wed Apr 10 06:44:45 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> For the last 3 years I've been paid by Red Hat to work on Python
> runtimes within Fedora (and RHEL).
>
> I'm still going to be around, but I'm going to be focusing on the gcc
> work I've been doing.  Bohuslav "Slavek" Kabrda (bkabrda at redhat.com)
> will be spending more of his time on Python, and I believe RH is also
> planning to assign some more people to Python.
>
> Hence RH has created a "python-maint at redhat.com" address to be "the team
> within Red Hat who work on Python", which currently is myself and
> Slavek, and probably some more RH employees.  (I believe we have a
> similar thing in place for the kernel).

Actually, this is supposed to be for RHEL stuff, not Fedora. I think we should just continue on per-package basis in Fedora (at least that was my original intention).

> Currently I'm marked as owner of 24 packages in Fedora (and EPEL), but
> I've been fairly free in handing out commit rights to people who want
> them:
>
> RunSnakeRun -- GUI Viewer for Python profiling runs
> gcc-python-plugin -- Plugins for embedding various versions of Python
> within GCC
> gdb-heap -- Extensions to gdb for debugging dynamic memory allocation
> perl-Class-CSV -- Class based CSV parser/writer
> pypy -- Python implementation with a Just-In-Time compiler
> python -- An interpreted, interactive, object-oriented programming
> language
> python-docs -- Documentation for the Python programming language.
> python-meliae -- Python memory usage statistics
> python-numarray -- Python array manipulation and computational library
> python-pefile -- Python module for working with Portable Executable
> files
> python-rdflib -- Python library for working with RDF
> python-six -- Python 2 and 3 compatibility utilities
> python-sqlparse -- Non-validating SQL parser for Python
> python-squaremap -- SquareMap for wxPython
> python-subprocess32 -- Backport of subprocess module from Python 3.2 to
> Python 2
> python-testosterone -- Text-based UI for running Python unit tests
> python-xmltramp -- Pythonic API for XML
> python26 -- Parallel-installable Python 2.6 for EPEL5
> python26-distribute -- the "Distribute" fork of setuptools for the
> python26 EPEL package
> python26-nose -- The "nose" testing package for the python26 EPEL
> package
> python3 -- Version 3 of the Python programming language aka Python 3000
> python3-cherrypy -- Pythonic, object-oriented web development framework
> python3-postgresql -- Connect to PostgreSQL with Python 3
> squeal -- Data manipulation tool for the command line
>
> I'd like to reassign "owner" on almost all of these from "dmalcolm" to
> the python-maint address, the exceptions being 3 that are particularly
> close to my heart:
>  * gcc-python-plugin
>  * gdb-heap
>  * squeal

So if it's ok with you, I can take python, python3 (I'm working on them anyway) and python-six (because I like it :)).

> Anyone have a burning desire to take over any of the others?  [I guess
> we can live with the irony of having "perl-Class-CSV" be owned by
> "python-maint at redhat.com" :) ]
>
> I believe Slavek is currently working on updating the Fedora packages to
> the recently released 2.7.4 (and then 3.3.1 and 3.2.4 - though I'm sure
> he'd appreciate help, but tell him first if you want to work on these,
> so we don't duplicate work!)

I'll be pushing 2.7.4 to rawhide today, 3.3.1 probably tomorrow. I'm however unsure about the current Fedora releases - it'd probably make sense to push the new versions into F19, too, but I'm not sure about F17 and F18. There were many bugfixes in 2.7.4 and I'm not 100 % sure that there is no API breakage (mainly in the C API), so I'd rather keep F17 and F18 with 2.7.3. Thoughts?

> Hope this sounds sane
> Dave

Thank you Dave, you did a great job with Python! I think we all hope to still have you around :)

--
Regards,
Bohuslav "Slavek" Kabrda.