Multirelease effort: Moving to Python 3

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Sun Jul 21 23:36:09 UTC 2013

On 07/19/2013 06:50 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On 07/19/2013 01:56 PM, Andrew McNabb wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 11:24:22AM -0400, Bohuslav Kabrda wrote:
>>>
>>> From packaging point of view, this will probably require:
>>> 1) Renaming python package to python2
>>> 2) Renaming python3 package to python
>>> 3) Switching the %{?with_python3} conditionals in specfiles to %{?with_python2} (we will probably create a script to automate this, at least partially)
>>
>> Renaming the python package to python2 kind of makes sense, but renaming
>> the python3 package to python seems needlessly confusing.  Wouldn't it
>> make sense to just keep python2 and python3 side by side without
>> ambiguity until some long future date when python2 disappears?
>
> I wrote PEP 394 after Arch forced the issue (by switching the python
> symlink to Python 3),

Oops, credit where it's due: Kerrick wrote the initial version, then I
altered it quite a bit during the subsequent discussions on python-dev :)

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan
Red Hat Infrastructure Engineering & Development, Brisbane

Testing Solutions Team Lead
Beaker Development Lead (http://beaker-project.org/)