Python 3.4, ensurepip and wheels

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Thu Nov 28 01:19:23 UTC 2013

On 11/28/2013 12:42 AM, Bohuslav Kabrda wrote:
> I hope I covered all the important points. Basically, we can make this work in a way acceptable for upstream, if we package setupttols and pip as wheels. It'll require some extra effort, but I think it's worth it.
> Thoughts? Anyone has better/simpler ideas?

>From an upstream point of view, so long as test.test_ensurepip and
test.test_venv still work, things should generally be OK.

I quite like the idea of checking for the consistency of the RECORD
files between the system pip and the one in the virtualenv (as well as
using RECORD as a guide to what to copy into a fresh venv). If you get
that working, I'd be interested in a Python 3.5 venv and/or ensurepip
patch to do that by default, and only bootstrap from the embedded wheel
if there was no system pip available.

Cheers,
Nick.

--