[Fedora-packaging] Changes in Guidelines Connected to "Python 3 as Default" Change

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 17:29:50 UTC 2014

On Thu, Dec 04, 2014 at 11:18:58PM +1000, Nick Coghlan wrote:

> I think these are good reasons to default to using the dash if its
> Fedora adding it. The guideline could be something like "For Python
> executables, also provide symlinks with a '-X' and '-X.Y' suffix,
> unless upstream already provides appropriately versioned executables
> without the dash. For compatibility packages, the Python version is
> appended *after* the specific package version".

Couple notes -- if we do go with putting the Python version after the Fedora
compat version, we'll want to phrase this so people know whether to do that
for all packages or only for those where upstream is not already putting the
version in the name.

Always putting the python version at the end means that users have to
remember that change when they switch to using a compat package:
nosetests-3.4 vs nosetests-v1.1-3.4

Only putting the Fedora version first when upstream doesn't provide the
names means that users have to remember the change on a package by package
basis:
sphinx-build-3.4-v1.1 vs nosetests-v1.1-3.4

We also want to mention the "v" addition to the version specified in the
compat version.  The "v" helps the user differentiate between the pyhton
version and the package version.  Most Fedora compat packages don't have
this matrix of $language_version + $package_version so they mark the compat
files with just a bare $package_version.  Since we have both, we need to let
packagers know that compat packages need to do a little bit more to
distinguish the two sets of numbers.

-Toshio