matplotlib packaging

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Wed Aug 19 01:26:31 UTC 2015

On 08/18/2015 06:28 PM, Thomas Caswell wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am one of the lead upstream developers of matplotlib.  We are in the
> process gearing up for two major releases in the next few months.
>
> First we will be doing a 1.5 release which will be a new feature release
> and has a new external dependancy (https://github.com/matplotlib/cycler)
> which will need to be packaged.  There is a version of cycler on pip and
> I plan to do a 1.0 release of cycler around/before the mpl1.5 release.
>
> Right after that we will be doing a 2.0 release that will have no new
> features, but will be changing many of the visual defaults.
>
> Is there anything we can do upstream to make your lives easier on the
> packaging side?

I've CC'ed python-matplotlib-owner at fedoraproject.org to directly email
the current maplotlib maintainers - although I think we may be a bit
short on active maintainers there at the moment.

You probably should check out the current bugs for the package:

https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/python-matplotlib/bugs

as it will show you some of the current issues we are facing.  In
general unbundling and having the ability to split the package on clear
dependency lines is helpful.

Thanks for reaching out!

--
Orion Poplawski