Apps using default Python in Fedora vs. EPEL

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Mon Feb 2 16:50:51 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> > I will. Do you have any idea who I should talk to regarding EPEL? Is it
> > also Dennis?
> >
> Also dennis.  Rel-eng is growing as a group so you could also put in
> a ticket/go to one of their weekly meetings but Dennis is probably still the
> one that knows the most about koji and buildroots.

Thanks, I'll talk to him.

> > > If we were to use different macro names instead of overwriting currently
> > > well known ones I think this has merit.
> >
> > For me, introducing yet another set of macros is unnecessary. I think that
> > it'd introduce a long(-ish) new part of guidelines that'll make them even
> > more complicated than they are right now (compared to one new macro
> > function and rules on how/when to use it).
> >
> Nick's breakdown of the three desired states seems like a non-complex way to
> organize things.  And explicit being a good thing is also a winner for me.
> In addition to my original arguments that bashing existing macro names in
> some spec files but not in all of them is a bad thing to force packagers to
> have to deal with.
>
> tangentially, when speaking about long-ish, though, could we use something
> shorter than default_python?  Maybe syspython to follow Nick's usage of
> "System Python"?

I don't really feel strongly about this, I agree that your solution has a merit (and syspython *is* better than default_python :)). I think I'll open an FPC ticket to ask FPC for their opinions on this and then I'll start taking concrete steps [1] ;) to get this done.

> -Toshio

Slavek

[1] http://www.sevenstarconcrete.com/images/exposed_double_stair_case.jpg